Back to Basics 19.4
(by peter & susie)
Last night we held the latest event in our spring programme: our ever-popular Back to Basics wine tasting.
This was another sell-out and this, together with some really fun and inquisitive tasters, made for a wonderfully informal, buzzy atmosphere in the Abbeywell room at the Winchester Hotel du Vin.
We had fun with our taste experiments featuring aroma bottles and Jelly Beans – all the while sipping on some very moreish Prosecco – and then tasted through six classic wines, playing some Wine Options and Call My Wine Bluff games along the way, as well as nibbling on some suitably matched morsels.
We’d like to personally thank everyone who came along last night and made it such an enjoyable occasion (especially Alana and John, who came all the way from Oxford).
The wines featured were as below:
- Prosecco Conegliano Superiore Brut DOCG 2010, Taste the Difference, 11% (£11.99, Sainsbury’s)
- Southbank Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2011, Marlborough, 13% (£8.99)
- Finest Sonoma County Chardonnay 2009, 13.5% (£8.99, Tesco)
- Secano Estate Pinot Noir rosé 2010, Leyda, 13.5% (£8.99, M&S)
- Rioja Reserva 2006, Viña Eguia, 13.5% (£9.99, Majestic)
- Peter Lehmann Barossa Shiraz 2009, Australia, 14.5% (£9.49, Waitrose)
- Campbell’s Rutherglen Muscat NV, Victoria, 17.5% (£10.99, Waitrose)