BBC Good Food
I was out for an early run and the NEC looked as serene as the Taj Mahal. It didn’t last, because soon it was packed to the gunnels with plants, people and delicious food and drink. (That and alcoholic key lime pie – see photo – a discovery I couldn’t quite bring myself to taste at 10am. If anyone did, let me know, because part of me is morbidly intrigued…)
I was on the supertheatre doing Saturday Kitchen Live with superstar chef James Martin, the delightful Rachel Stevens, formerly of S Club fame (loves sushi and Riesling) and brilliant chefs Galton Blackiston and Glynn Purnell.
You can find my wine matches for these dishes below. (The supertheatre was sponsored by Tesco so all wines come from there.)
It was also great to be able to host some Saturday Kitchen wine experiences at the show. It’s the first time we’ve done this and we had some brilliant people along for a bit of a chat and gossip over some delicious glasses of wine. The feedback was great so thanks to everyone who came and we look forward to doing more stuff along these lines at shows in the future.
Peter’s wine matches at the BBC Good Food Show summer 2013 (NB: from 26.6.13 to 2.7.13, Tesco is taking 15% off the prices of all its Finest wines, except the champagnes, when you buy 3 bottles or more.)
- For Glynn Purnell’s short rib of beef with mussels, parsley and wild garlic: Tesco Finest Chianti Riserva DOCG 2009 (£7.99)
- For Galton Blackiston’s Cromer crab with fine chips and watercress mayo, avocado tomato chilli salad: Tim Adams Clare Valley Riesling 2011 (£10.79)
- For James Martin’s fillet of lemon sole with sauté kale and crab butter sauce: Tesco Finest Soave Classico Superiore 2011 (£7.99)
- For James Martin’s Rockefeller cod with fennel salad and a classic white wine sauce: Tesco Finest Albariño 2011 (£7.99)
Wines from Peter’s Saturday Kitchen wine experience (all Tesco)
- Finest Bisol Prosecco di Valdobbiadene, £9.99 (with almonds)
- Finest Rosé Champagne NV, £22.99 (with smoked salmon)
- Finest Picpoul de Pinet 2011, £7.49
- Tim Adams Clare Valley Shiraz 2009, £12.99 (with salami)
- Finest Dessert Semillon 2008, £6.79 (with cantucci)
You can find recipes on the BBC Good Food Show page. And if any of this whets your appetite, please do come along to the BBC Good Food Shows later in the year in London (15-17 Nov) and Birmingham (27 Nov-1 Dec), where Susie and I will be delighted to share a glass with you!