Good Food Season
(by Peter Richards MW & Susie Barrie MW)
This year’s fun and frantic BBC Good Food Show festive season saw us publicly mulling over Glynn Purnell’s moustache, hobnobbing with Larry Lamb and Kara Tointon, and hosting wine tasting sessions with everything from Brazilian to London (yes, London) wine.
Details of all the wines we used (as well as the matching dishes, where relevant) are as below.
It was great to be able to feature the London Cru wines, made using grapes trucked up from classic European wine regions and then brewed in London by Ozzie winemaker Gavin Monery. It’s well worth a visit (in West Brompton).
You can also check out this short video, which features Peter extolling the bibulous virtues of the show alongside the likes of similarly enthusiastic Michel Roux Jr, Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood.
We do like the shows for their big, fun, easy-going approach to food and drinks. We’d love to see more wine people there too, and will hope to do so at the 2015 events. Check out the BBC Good Food Show website for more dates and details.
Thanks to Laura, Sophie and all the River Street team plus, as ever, to our wonderful Saturday Kitchen crew.
BBC Good Food Show Winter (NEC Birmingham)
- Hay-baked chicken with braised celery (Glynn Purnell) – Laroche Vignoble Peyroli Chardonnay, France (£9.74, Majestic)
- Braised Moorish style pig cheeks with picada and garlic-cumin potatoes (Ben Tish) – Settevigne 2010, Italy (£9.99, Waitrose)
- Caramelised bananas with butterscotch sauce and gingerbread ice cream (Michael Caines) – Torres Floralis Moscatel Oro (£7.49 Ocado)
- lobster and prawn ravioli with oven roasted tomato and basil sauce with lobster claws (James Martin) – Malvira Roero Arneis 2013 (£10.99, Ocado)
- Calves Liver with a madeira sauce, mash and deep fried onion rings (James Martin) – Yalumba Bush Vine Grenache (£11.99, Ocado)
- Roast leg of local lamb, spiked with garlic, rosemary & thyme, with roasted provencal vegetables and Dauphinoise potatoes (Michael Caines) – Domaine de Montval Syrah 2013 (£6.66 Majestic)
- Scallops with raw vegetables, almond satay and ponzu (Glynn Purnell) – Insight Dry Marlborough Riesling (£14.99, Ocado)
- Tagliarini with Artichoke & truffle with squash and artichoke fritto misto (Theo Randall) – TTD Greco di Tufo 2012 (£10.50, Sainsburys)
- Turkish Adana Kebabs, Maast O Khiar, Smoked aubergine salad (Sabrina Ghayour) – F’oz 2013 Alentejo (£10.69, Waitrose)
- Roasted pheasant salad with winter leaves, pancetta, chestnuts and pomegranate (Theo Randall) – Araldica Barbera d’Asti Superiore (£8.99 Waitrose)
BBC Good Food Show London (Olympia)
Sparkling wine & champagne
- J Laurens Cremant de Limoux Les Graimenous Brut, France (Roberson, £14.95)
- Campos de Cima Brut Champenoise 2011, Brazil (Go Brazil, £19.99)
- Falanghina Extra Dry, Italy (Villa Sofia, £22.95)
- Bolney Blanc de Blancs 2009, England
- Bochet Lemoine Brut Nature Champagne (Bubbly Champagne, £31)
- Pascal Ponson Grande Reserve Premier Cru Montagne de Reims Champagne (Bubbly Champagne, £35)
- London Cru SW6 White Wine 1 Chardonnay, France/England (Roberson/London Cru, £15)
- Bushmere Gewurztraminer, New Zealand (Antipodean Sommelier, £16)
- Two Rivers Altitude Sauvignon Blanc 2013, New Zealand (Antipodean Sommelier, £25)
- Les Dauphins Cotes de Rhone Villages, France (£8.99, Waitrose)
- Johnny Q Shiraz, Australia (Antipodean Sommelier, £10)
- Mas Coutelou 7 Rue de la Pompe, France (Roberson, £11.95)
- London Cru SW6 Red Wine 2 Barbera, Italy/London (London Cru/Roberson, £15)
- Lompoc Santa Rita Pinot Noir, USA (Roberson, £26.95)
- Anthemis Samos Muscat 2009, Greece (Southern Wine Roads £8.50)