Good Food summer
I am three pieces of knowledge the wiser after a most enjoyable day at the summer BBC Good Food Show. Said nuggets of wisdom as follows:
- As a seasonal food tip, Tom Kerridge suggests using the un-ripened white strawberries in salads or when cooking fish to add a bit of a tang to the dish.
- Cyrus Todiwala makes bread using lemonade and sparkling wine. What a man. His recipe involves flour, lemonade, sparkling wine, a pinch of salt and a hot oven. This is surely one for our kitchen.
- Craig Revel Horwood’s guilty food secret is a double pepperoni pizza in bed with a large glass of Sauvignon Blanc. Cheers to that!
I was on Saturday Kitchen wine duty on the super theatre stage, which was really buzzing, so thanks to everyone who came along and watched the shows.
Tom Kerridge did a brilliant debut job of hosting in his usual relaxed style. On the hobs were top chefs Glynn Purnell, Atul Kochhar and Theo Randall, while the likes of Cyrus Todiwala and Michael Caines joined us for omelette fun. Celeb guest Craig Revel Horwood was a hoot, and a lovely man to boot – he knows his food, having appeared on Celebrity Masterchef, Ready Steady Cook and Saturday Kitchen, and also loves a glass of Sauvignon Blanc (and Krug, to judge by his comments!)
For reference, the wines that I featured on stage are as follows:
- Black Cottage Pinot Gris 2013 (£9.99, Majestic) – for pollock with tamarind, tomato and fresh curry leaf sauce by Atul Kochhar
- Yealands Sauvignon Blanc/Pinot Gris (£9.99, Morrisons) – for chicken thighs with pea custard and pea salad by Glynn Purnell
- Finest Teroldego 2012 (£7.99, Tesco) – for Tagliata di manzo (fillet of beef with rocket, tomato and parmesan) by Theo Randall
- Miguel Torres Las Mulas Cabernet Sauvignon rosé 2013 (£8.99, Waitrose) – for black pudding with home-made brown sauce by Tom Kerridge
- Oudinot Brut Champagne (£15 down from £25 until 23rd June, M&S) – for lobster fritters with fries and home-made tartar sauce by Tom Kerridge
The Oudinot in particular is a champion buy. Delicious, classic champagne that’s available from £15 until 23rd June as part of a multi-buy M&S offer. Worth stashing a few – who knows, it may even come in useful for World Cup celebrations…
Susie and I will both be appearing at the London and Winter Good Food Shows in November. Please do come and say hi! In the meantime, here are some photos from the show: