(by peter & susie)
It was another sell-out house for our Back to Basics Christmas special on Wednesday 23rd November, with tasting experiments, wine games and the odd Santa hat making for a thoroughly festive atmosphere.
We run this course every year. It’s essentially a standard Back to Basics tasting template (lively and user-friendly, with Jelly Beans and aroma bottles to lose the intimidation factor and get the senses firing on all cylinders) but with an explicit focus on getting the best out of your Christmas wines, be it for aperitifs, digestifs, or wines to go with classic yuletide meals.
It was another great bunch – varied, as ever, in age and nature but all game for a laugh and with an admirable thirst for wine (and wine knowledge).
‘We really enjoyed it – thank you for a great evening!’ (Sarah)
‘Thanks for a lovely evening – me and the guys had a great night and we actually learned something! We will definitely be attending the next event and will join [the wine club] asap so we are kept up to date with what’s happening in the wine world.’ (Gary)
Wines featured on the night included:
- Prosecco La Marca Treviso Extra Dry NV, Italy (£8.99, Majestic)
- Southbank Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2010, New Zealand (£8.74 Majestic)
- Bellingham The Bernard Series Old Vine Chenin Blanc 2010, Western Cape, South Africa (£10.99, Majestic)
- Viña Leyda Loica Vineyard Pinot Noir rosé 2010, Chile (£9.99, Waitrose)
- Viña Eguia Rioja Reserva 2005, Spain (£9.99, Majestic)
- Taste the Difference Barossa Valley Shiraz 2009, Australia (£8.99, Sainsbury’s)
- Campbell’s Rutherglen Muscat NV, Victoria (£10.99, Waitrose)
This was our last Wine School tasting before our 2012 programme, dates for which we have just announced. These are as follows:
Tuesday 6th March 2012 – Fizz and Fine Red Wine – Winchester Hotel du Vin, 7.30-9pm
Thurs 19th April 2012 – Back to Basics – Winchester Hotel du Vin, 7.30-9pm
Remember, a Wine School tasting makes for a fantastic and original Christmas present – we have gift vouchers available for sale now. Please just email us or call us on 01962 864 717 during office hours for more details.