The Special Ones…
In which Peter pens a profile of François Massoc, a most unusual Chilean winemaker of French extraction and with a passion for making ambitious, sometimes extravagant, always engaging wines.
The piece features profiles of five winemakers by different writers:
- Fernando Mora MW (Bodegas Frontonio, Aragón) by Sarah Jane Evans MW
- Jérôme Bressy (Domaine Court de Mautens, Rhône) by Matt Walls
- François Massoc (Calyptra, Cachapoal) by Peter
- Brendon Keys (BK Wines, Adelaide Hills) by Jamie Goode
- Lukas Van Loggerenberg (Van Loggerenberg Wines, Stellenbosch)
The brief was to pick the stars of tomorrow.
Massoc makes wonderful wines, from cultured Chardonnay to pioneering Chilean fortified – and even has plans for a ‘Chilean chartreuse’. A fascinating character – Chile needs more like him.
[The Special Ones appears in Imbibe magazine’s Spring 2019 edition.]