Bin 003 Ribolla Gialla 2018
Bin #003 Ribolla Gialla 2018, Italy, 12.5%
(£9.50, The Wine Society)
This is the third edition of the Wine Society’s new experimental ‘Bin’ range dedicated to quirky varieties and wines and it’s the most successful to date.
Ribolla Gialla is an ancient but little known white variety grown in north eastern Italy and Slovenia. It makes pretty grown up wines, with plenty of concentration and freshness but also a dimension of flavour and texture that many other whites struggle to achieve.
It’s a great wine to put with food: its smoky, lemony flavours work really well as a foil to fish or chicken dishes. Although, to be frank, it’s versatile so works with a whole range of flavours and ingredients.
Juicy, dry, serious – great value at the price and something a bit different. What are you waiting for?!
(6.5-7/10, Peter, Sept 2019)
More top tips from the Wine Society’s press tasting on 26th September 2019 are as below. Highlights included the toasty Kumeu River, scented Moulin-A-Vent, great value Crasto, venerable Weinert Carrasco, sumptuous Rioja Reserva, gorgeous Newton Johnson and outstanding Suduiraut 1999.
White – Fresh & Racy
- Prophet’s Rock Central Otago Riesling 2016, New Zealand, £20
- Riesling Grand Cru Sommerberg 2014 Domaine Albert Boxler, £45
White – Mellow Yellow
- Kumeu River Hunting Hill Vineyard Chardonnay 2017, 14%, New Zealand – £29
- Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru (Heritiers) 2011, Jadot, 13.5%, France – £99 (FROM 4TH NOV 2019)
Red – Feeling Fruity
- Château d’Emeringes Beaujolais-Villages Vieilles Vignes 2018, France, £8.50
- Luna Beberide Mencia Bierzo 2018, Spain, £9.95 (FROM 4TH NOV 2019)
- The Society’s Exhibition Mendoza Malbec 2017, Argentina, £10.95
- Mount Koinga Central Otago Pinot Noir 2016, New Zealand, £19.50
- Château de Beauregard, Moulin-à-Vent Clos des Pérelles 2017, France, £20
Red – Big Smoothie
- Crasto 2017 Douro, Portugal, £9.95
- Perdebee Shiraz 2015 Darling, South Africa, £9.95
- Château Argadens Rouge 2015, Bordeaux Superieur, France, £10.95
- Weinert Carrascal Corte Clasico 2015 Mendoza, Argentina £10.95
- Vurgada Nerello Cappuccio Gaglioppo 2016 Santa Venere, Italy £13.50 (FROM 21ST OCT 2019)
- Newton Johnson ‘Full Stop Rock’ Syrah-Grenache-Mourvedre 2017, South Africa, £13.95 (FROM 4TH NOV 2019)
- The Society’s Exhibition Rioja Reserva 2013, Spain, £16
- Baron de Brane 2011 Margaux, France, £24
Sweet and fortified – Sticky Fingers
- Casa Ermelinda Freitas Moscatel de Setúbal NV, Portugal, £9.95
- Château Pech la Calevie Monbazillac 2015, France, £13.50
- The Society’s Exhibition Crusted Port, Bottled 2013, NV, £17
- Château Suduiraut Sauternes 1999, France, £22 – HALF BOTTLE (FROM 4TH NOV 2019)
- Bodegas Alonso Single Cask Amontillado (Medium Sweet) 30-year-old NV, Spain, £39.50 (FROM 9TH DEC 2019)
- Quinta do Noval Colheita Tawny Port 2000, Portugal, £49 (FROM 4TH NOV 2019)