Louis Guntrum Pinot Noir 2017
Louis Guntrum Pinot Noir 2017, 13.5%, Rheinhessen, Germany
(£13.99 down to £10.49 until 16.7.2019, Waitrose Cellar)
Is Pinot Noir the wine lover’s ultimate grape?
And, if so, where do you find great value bottles of the same?
A short while ago, I posed these questions on social media.
In answer to the first, many were divided. The likes of Riesling and Chardonnay were cited as contenders (among many others). But, when I followed up with a ‘desert island wine challenge’, Pinot Noir won the day.
As for great value Pinots, a few people suggested Germany. It’s not the obvious destination but Germany is fast making a name for itself with Pinot Noir at all levels, including many at pretty ambitious price points. This may be a reflection of global warming – but also the ambition of German growers to develop beyond off-dry Riesling.
Either way, it’s led to some delicious wines and this one is a brilliant, and undoubtedly great value, bottle. Even at its usual seeing price of £13.99 it’s a must-buy but, as Waitrose are currently offering 25% off when you buy six bottles or more (until 16th July), it’s a steal.
It’s a deliberately pale, light, sappy style of Pinot Noir. The kind that’s ideal served with a light chill with all kinds of summer food, from barbecue fare to summer salads like tuna niçoise. It’s tangy, light, herb-scented and vibrant. Super refreshing. Not for those who love their reds full bodied and dark as sin, to be sure.
(Peter, 7.5/10, May 2019)
As for other things to buy in the Waitrose offer, here’s a quick list (all with their pre-discount prices):
- Graham Beck Chardonnay / Pinot Noir Brut NV, South Africa (£14.99)
- Mirabeau en Provence la Folie Rosé NV, France (£14.99)
- Bird in Hand Sparkling Pinot Noir 2018, Australia (£15.99)
- Chapel Down Sparkling Bacchus NV, England (£17.99)
- Waitrose Blanc de Noirs Brut Champagne NV, France (£22.99)
- Patricius Dry Furmint Tokaji 2017, Hungary (£9.99)
- Simpsons Estate Chardonnay 2018, England (£13.99)
- Paul Cluver RIesling Elgin 2017, South Africa (£12.99)
- O’Leary Walker Polish Hill Organic riesling 2016, Australia (£12.99)
- Pegasus Bay Riesling Waipara 2015, New Zealand ((£16.99)
- Klein Constantia / Pascal Jolivet Metis Sauvignon Blanc 2016, South Africa (£21.99)
- Domaine Gerard Thomas Saint-Aubin 2016, France (£25.99)
- Simpsons Estate Pinot Noir Rosé 2018, England (£13.99)
- Mirabeau Classic Rosé Cotes de Provence 2018, France (£11.99)
- Jean-Luc Baldes Malbec du Clos Cahors 2016, France (£8.99)
- Luigi Bosca Tabu Malbec Mendoza 2017, Argentina (£10.69)
- Reyneke Organic Cabernet/Merlot 2017, South Africa (£10.99)
- Paolo Leo Primitivo di Manduria Puglia 2018, Italy (£10.99)
- Monte Malone Chianti Classico 2013, Italy (£11.99)
- Cave de Saint-Désirat Saint-Joseph 2017, France (£15.99)
- Joseph Drouhin Rully 2015, France (£16.99)
- Muga Selección Especial Rioja Reserva 2014, Spain (£24.99)
- Mate Brunello di Montalcino 2012, Italy (£39.99)