Saint Veran Trouillet 2018
Saint Veran Domaine Trouillet 2018, France, 13.5%
(£17.99 or £15.99 when you ‘mix six’, Majestic)
Majestic Wine has been through a pretty rocky patch of late and it’s left most of us wondering what exactly is happening with one of the country’s favourite wine retailers.
The company first opened its doors on a store in North London back in 1980 (see photo below) and enjoyed consistent success but following a recent dalliance with Naked Wines and subsequent talk of a sell off, it appeared this hitherto dynamic group’s days were worryingly numbered. The company itself has admitted that, ‘Majestic came closer than ever to losing its identity’.
Step in Fortress, a US investment group which bought the whole caboodle in July this year. From everything we’re being told, their intention is to go back to the core values that originally made Majestic special. To us, that means an exciting and eclectic range of wines sold at sensible prices by passionate and knowledgeable staff.
If the range of wines on show at Majestic’s press tasting this week is anything to go by, I’d say the initial signs are good. Despite having to trek rather pointlessly over to East London in the rain to be able to taste in an ‘under the arches’ setting – I’m still not sure if this was an attempt at uber trendiness or a nod to the old days, perhaps both? – I found the range on the whole impressive and there were certainly plenty of highlights.
The Domaine Trouillet Saint Veran 2018 was one. A beautifully packaged white from one of Burgundy’s less expensive appellations; it is youthful but full of character with an artisanal feel and lots of concentrated red apple fruit. The texture is rich from oak and its finish is long and satisfying. A fabulous winter white to fill your rack with.
(Susie, 7.5/10, Oct 19)
More recommendations from Majestic’s wine range, as tasted in October 2019, are as below. I’ve detailed the single bottle price but bear in mind that that is usually significantly lower when you ‘mix six’.
Sparkling – Let’s Get Fizzical
- Augusta Brut Champagne, NV, France, 12%, £27.99
White – Fresh & Racy
- Clouston & Co Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2017, New Zealand, 13%, £13.99
- Miss Lucy Sauvignon Pinot Gris 2018, South Africa, 12.5%, £19.99
- Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2018, New Zealand, 13%, £22.99
- Petaluma Yellow Label Hanlin Hill Riesling 2016, Australia, 12.5%, £25.99
White – Mellow Yellow
- Hexadique Cote du Rhone Blanc 2018, France, 13.5%, £11.99
- Terradora Falanghina Campania IGT 2018, Italy, 13.5%, £13.99
- Gabb Family Chardonnay 2018, South Africa, 13.5%, £14.99
- Pedro’s Almacenista Selection Oloroso, Spain, 20%, £14.99
- Saint Veran Domaine Trouillet 2018, France, 13.5%, £17.99
- Pedro’s Almacenista Selection Palo Cortado, Spain, 20%, £17.99
- Chablis Vieilles Vignes Vocoret 2017, France, 12.5%, £19.99
- Vigneto du Lot Soave Classico Inama 2016, Italy, 13%, £27.00
- Petaluma Chardonnay 2016, Australia, 14%, £28.99
Red – Feeling Fruity
- Alain Grignon Carignan Vieilles Vignes 2018, France, 12.5%, £7.99
- Main Divide Pinot Noir Canterbury 2015, New Zealand, 14%, £19.99
Red – Big Smoothie
- Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, Masciarelli 2016, Italy, 13%, £12.99
- Rustenberg RM Nicholson Stellenbosch 2016, South Africa, 14.5%, £14.99
- Rioja Reserva Muga 2015, Spain, 14%, £18.99
- Rioja Reserva Viña Ardanza La Rioja Alta 2009, Spain, 13.5%, £26.99
Sweet – Sticky Fingers
- Rustenberg Straw Wine 2018, South Africa, 10%, £11.99