Vasse Felix Filius Chardonnay 2016
Vasse Felix Filius Chardonnay 2016, 13%, Australia
Based in the north of England, Booths is known for its wine range and rightly so.
Based on the supermarket’s recent tasting in September 2019, the wine range shows strength and depth, with some particular high points in the own-label range.
What’s more, the company has partnered with Amazon in an attempt to, ‘allow our wines to find a wider audience outside our northern heartlands.’
Buyer Victoria Anderson isn’t afraid to list wines at the more – ahem – premium end of the pricing spectrum. And many of them are excellent, making for a list many wine lovers would have plenty of fun perusing and enjoying.
This Vasse Felix Chardonnay is a typical example – not cheap but amazing value for money, an absolutely beautiful Chardonnay with just the right mix of appley freshness, nutty complexity, creamy succulence and cultured texture.
(Peter, 7.5/10, September 2019)
More top tips from their range feature below. To pick one from all the styles featured – the Jansz is fabulous and seriously refined fizz, the white Burgundy simply great value, the Walt Pinot Noir from Germany a beautifully elegant Pinot, and both the own label Bordeaux and Rioja Reserva delicious examples of their style and very attractively priced.
- Jansz Premium Cuvée NV, 12%, Australia, £17
- Booths English Sparkling NV, 12%, England, £22
- Booths Champagne Brut Rosé NV, 12%, France, £23.50
- Booths Vintage Champagne 2006, 12.5%, France, £34
White – Fresh & Racy
- Booths Touraine Sauvignon Blanc 2018, 12.5%, France, £8
- Monte del Frà Custoza 2018, 12.5%, Italy, £9.50
- Seresin Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2018, 12.5%, New Zealand, £15.50
White – Mellow Yellow
- Booths White Burgundy 2017, 13%, France, £10
- Nicosia Lenza Di Munti Etna Bianco 2017, 12.5%, Italy, £11
- Quinta de la Rosa White 2018, 12.5%, Portugal, £11.75
- Kumeu River Village Chardonnay 2017, 13%, New Zealand, £12
Red – Feeling Fruity
- Walt Pinot Noir 2017, 13%, Germany, £10.50
- Seresin Estate Rachel Pinot Noir 2014, 13.5%, New Zealand, £23
Red – Big Smoothie
- Booths Bordeaux Rouge 2016, 13%, France, £8.50
- Booths Malbec 2018, 13.5%, Argentina, £9.50
- Integro Primitivo 2017, 14%, Italy, £9.65
- Booths Gran Norte Rioja Reserva 2012, 13.5%, Spain, £13
- Domaine St Roch Vacqueyras 2016, 13%, £13.50
- Kanonkop Kadette Pinotage 2017, 14.5%, South Africa, £13.75
- Matetic Coralillo Syrah 2014, 14%, Chile, £13.75
- Booths Barolo, 13.5%, Italy, £19